Thursday, March 5, 2009

Third Quarter Outside Reading Book Review


Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Little, Brown and Company, 2005



Twilight is a novel that tells the story of a girl named Isabella Swan. Isabella (Bella, as we know her throughout the story), moves from Phoenix to Forks, Washington to live with her father. Bella has to start over in a new town, new school, new house, new life. She can’t find a single thing that interests her in the town, until she meets Edward Cullen. As the story progresses however, she realizes that she has fallen madly in love with a vampire.


“The novel’s danger-factor skyrockets as the excitement of secret love and hushed affection morphs into a terrifying race to stay alive…Twilight will have readers dying to sink their teeth into it.” –School Library Journal (starred review)


Twilight tells a story of young love, magic, and evil. Bella and Edward both have an overwhelming attraction between them, and they learn that they can accomplish anything when they’re together. This story reminds me of a mix between the Harry Potter series (J.K. Rowling), and the book True Believer (Nicholas Sparks). The story reminds me of Harry Potter because of the magic, and mid evil creatures that are involved. However, in the midst of all of that, Bella and Edward both share such a strong, and unique love such as Jeremy Marsh and Alexis Darnell from True Believer.


While reading Twilight, I felt like I was Bella Swan. Stephenie Meyer did an extraordinary job of describing her characters, and their emotions. She made it very easy to follow where Bella was, and what she was doing. Her dialogue was very believable and kept you interested. She made each character so different and unique allowing any one of her readers able to relate to one in some way.


“I felt moisture filling up my eyes as I looked at Emmett. I barely knew him, and yet, somehow, not knowing when I would see him again after tonight was anguishing. I knew this was just a faint taste of the goodbyes I would have to survive in the next hour, and the thought made the tears begin to spill.” (391)


I strongly recommend reading Twilight to everyone! It was creatively written and SUCH A GOOD BOOK! I plan to read all of the books in the series. I think the main reason I enjoyed Twilight so much is because I can relate to Bella and Edwards relationship with my own. Edward and Bella are always there for each other but they are straight up and don’t hide things. They know what they want, and who they are. My boyfriend and I are the same way. I think that this book has made me realize not to care what other people say and to just be true to yourself and what you believe in.

No comments: